Tuesday, December 4, 2012

A Christmas full of hugs!

 
The question “what do you want for Christmas?” has been asked many times. It has gone into my ears, settled in my brain, where I tossed it around feverishly and then finally spit out the words I always say.

Nothing.

This is usually met with a curious/frustrated glance and a march off to go question my family members.
I have never been good at coming up with something I want, and even if I had (due to some miraculous brain-workage) I would never say. I hate asking for things...I love giving gifts, I love it, but asking for something? Not so much.

But I have been thinking lately.

What do I want for Christmas? Really, what do I want? A book? A new camera? A movie? At first I will say “yes!” when you suggest these. I always loved touching the cover of a brand-new, unread book filled to the brim with adventure. But then I think about it.
All of that is just stuff. It doesn’t last. It has no real connection. It's just STUFF. It doesn’t accomplish anything truly worthwhile. I may have it, but how long until I get tired of reading that book? How long until my camera breaks or I want the newest model? How long until that movie is as old as one of those black and white silent films?
No. For Christmas I want memories. I want a hug. A laugh. I want a moment. A moment of joy, happiness...peace. I want an instant. Memories have meaning.


Everything has a time limit. Every item you touch. Every person you meet. Me.
Even you. Everything will end. This world, your pet dog, the tree growing outside that has been there for 200 years. Everything has an end.

Except for the God we serve.

Christmas is about celebrating his birth. It isn’t about finding that perfect deal for Christmas presents, or being disappointed when you don’t find that shiny bicycle under the tree. It is about celebrating the birth of Jesus! The one who died for us. He died for OUR sins. He didn’t have to...but he did. It is amazing that we actually get the privilege to celebrate his birthday.

So just think about that before you ask for something for Christmas. Is it something that will actually hold meaning? Life is so short.
But meaning is priceless.

I will be perfectly happy with dozens and dozens of hugs.  :)


 

1 comment:

  1. Awe... so I only get to give you hugs around Christmas? I think the hugs and a laugh are good year round personally, as long as I don't get my head bitten off... :P

    ReplyDelete